Looking backward 4

The north

10 years ago

June 9, 2009: Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, will have a Fort Drum Region branch campus. But the questions remain: when and where? The medical college has set the wheels in motion with several north country organizations and hospitals to have a local branch campus, but nothing is set in stone.

25 years ago

June 9, 1994: Launching a boat from Henderson Harbor will remain free for at least another year, the town board decided Wednesday night. Town officials figured they could have raised a few thousand dollars to maintain the launch, which was rebuilt last fall, but the proposal was more complicated than first realized due to legal technicalities.

50 years ago

June 9, 1969: A ten-year extension of the lease of a beach on Lake St. Lawrence in the Town of Massena has been approved by the Power Authority of the State of New York. The authority leases the beach to the town for $1 a year.

75 years ago

June 9, 1944: Intense interest of citizens of Watertown and northern New York in D-Day and the latest news bulletins on the invasion, is manifested by the hundreds of people who paused in front of the Hotel Woodruff Cigar store window on Public Square to follow the progress of the invasion on the huge European war map, and to read the latest news releases posted in the window. The window was arranged through the cooperation of WWNY, the Watertown Daily Times station.

100 years ago

June 9, 1919: Practically every church in Watertown observed children’s day in their services Sunday. The majority had arranged special exercises for the evening in which the children themselves took part by rendering appropriate musical programs. The various pastors touched on child life and the relation of religion to it and effect in future years during the course of their sermons.

125 years ago

June 9, 1894: There now seems no doubt but that the village of Norwood will be lighted with electricity in the near future. The Norwood manufacturing company will furnish the water power and this will be augmented by a 80 horse power engine. The site on which the building will be located is directly north of the large gang saw mill on the west side of the river, known as the old grist mill site.

150 years ago

June 9, 1869: If anyone wishes to know what Col. Geo. W. Flower is doing for the city, the houses that he is building and has finished will speak for themselves. He cannot be ironically stigmatized by affirming that he has not contributed liberally to the growth of Watertown.

The world


1931: Robert H. Goddard patents a rocket-fueled aircraft design.

1951: After several unsuccessful attacks on French colonial troops, North Vietnam’s General Vo Nguyen Giap orders Viet Minh to withdraw from the Red River Delta.

1954: At the Army-McCarthy hearings, attorney Joseph Welch asks Senator Joseph McCarthy “Have you no sense of decency?”

1986: NASA publishes a report on the Challenger accident.

Love local history? Listen to the Watertown Daily Times audio podcast at wdt.me/SECONDLOOK to hear us discuss pieces of our past.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.