10 years ago
May 20, 2009: The Evans Mills Board of Trustees has voted to authorize an agreement between Evans Mills and Black River to establish a shared police force. The board also decided to hire another two part-time police officers to share the 150 hours of patrol time required under the contract. The villages will split the cost of the force, which totals $25,000.
25 years ago
May 20, 1994: Classes at Jefferson Community College will be shifted to Watertown High School this summer during JCC’s $11 million construction project. The college will use the high school’s new science wing for 11 classes usually held on campus. The first phase of construction at the college will include new parking, installation of elevators in the science building and library, and renovations for a new geology lab, faculty offices and classrooms in both buildings.
50 years ago
May 20, 1969: Archaeological work at the Sackets Harbor Battlefield park is about to be resumed. The work will center this year around the two Navy Point buildings, finding the Old Sow cannon and other historic points of interest at Sackets Harbor. Under a long range program, Sackets Harbor Battlefield park is to be developed into an historic park facility.
75 years ago
May 20, 1944: Four of the seven remaining members of the old Bachelors’ Club, formed in Watertown in 1899, got together for a dinner at the Cold Creek Inn Thursday night. When the club was formed it had a membership of about 30 and for years the annual balls sponsored by the organization were outstanding in the community. Since those days, however, marriage and death worked to dissolve the club.
100 years ago
May 20, 1919: The timely arrival of Dr. H. L. Smith at the home of Edward Biche at 216 Franklin street probably saved the life of Mrs. Almeda Biche, who was taken suddenly ill Monday morning with a severe attack of ptomaine poisoning caused from eating heartily of Limburger cheese on Sunday night. A stomach pump was put into immediate use and while somewhat weak, she is much improved today.
125 years ago
May 20, 1894: A project is to be started with a view to the construction of a trestle or overhead bridge over the railroad crossing on Arsenal street. This place is one of the most dangerous crossings in the city, the tracks being at the foot of a steep hill and trains and engines constantly passing to and fro, causing delays to those who desire to pass, and frequently scaring horses.
150 years ago
May 20, 1869: Immense display of goods for Men’s Wear, at A. Baum & Bro., No. 14 Court Street. Ready made clothing, of our own manufacture, the largest stock in Northern N.Y. Our Custom Department is filled with a superb assortment of olive, brown and blue cloths, tricots and coatings.
1862: President Abraham Lincoln signs the Homestead Act, providing 250 million acres of free land to settlers in the West.
1874: Levi Strauss begins marketing blue jeans with copper rivets.
1927: Charles Lindbergh takes off from New York for Paris.
1932: Amelia Earhart lands in Ireland, to become the first woman fly solo across the Atlantic.