MASSENA — This is the eighth year that Christina D. Miller has gathered the force of her family and friends in the name of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, more commonly known as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

About 100 people gathered at the picnic grounds at Robert Moses State Park Saturday to take part in a 5K run/walk, a cornhole tournament and makeshift reunion.

This year, there were some new people in the mix because of the addition of the cornhole tournament, Ms. Miller said.

Over the years, Sandy’s Steps to Edgeout ALS has raised about $15,000.

This year the money will go to purchase beach wheelchairs. The chairs, with outsized wheels, give access to sandy areas for people who use wheelchairs.

The chairs cost about $2,000 each.

The ALS Association describes the disease as a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.

ALS is 20% more common in men than in women, according to the association. About 90% of ALS cases occur without family history. The remaining 10% of ALS cases are inherited through a mutated gene, which is known as familial ALS.

Ms. Miller’s grandfather and mother died of ALS. She started organizing Sandy’s Steps shortly after her mother’s death.

Sandy’s Steps to Edgeout ALS will be back next year at Robert Moses State Park, Ms. Miller said. People should keep an eye on local media to get involved next year.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

St. Lawrence/Franklin County Editor

Slowly self-propelled. Two-time cancer survivor. Nearly 30-year newspaper veteran.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.