PIERREPONT — Multiple fire agencies were called to a shed fire at the Huntley farm at 297 Post Road about 9 a.m. Thursday.
The shed contained farm equipment stored for the winter and a supply of wood for the house on the farm.
It took firefighters nearly 30 minutes to get the fire under control.
The property is owned by Christine and Daniel Huntley and the farm is run by their son, Dillon. Power was shut off to the property by National Grid.
Pierrepont Fire Department was first on scene, and firefighter Tim Green said the shed was engulfed when they arrived.
“By the time we left the station we could see black smoke in the air,” Mr. Green said.
He said the fire started in the woodshed portion of the building, near where a boiler is located. He said the fire quickly spread to the rest of the building.
Mr. Green said when firefighters arrived, strong winds were blowing the fire toward another barn, where cows were housed and hay was stored. He said some of the hay had started to catch fire, but the firefighters quickly removed the smoldering hay and all of the cows were removed from the barn. The barn sustained minimal damage.
Also responding were crews from Canton, Colton, Hannawa Falls and West Potsdam.
According to Mrs. Huntley, the farm equipment in the shed included a lawn mower, a hay baler and chopper and lots of tools.
An excavator was brought in shortly after 10 a.m. to remove debris and uncover any possible remaining flames.