A loss for downtown

An Aug. 12 fire destroyed The Anchor, a bar and grill in downtown Sackets Harbor. Sydney Schaefer/Watertown Daily Times

SACKETS HARBOR — A carelessly discarded cigarette butt is to blame for the blaze that destroyed The Anchor bar and grill on Aug. 12.

In a press release, Joseph M. Plummer, director of the Jefferson County Fire & Emergency Management, said Thursday the final report confirmed the fire was “accidental in nature.”

The Jefferson County Cause and Origin team was able to determine that a carelessly discarded cigarette placed in decorative mulch next to the building started a fire that quickly spread to the building.

The fire ignited the mulch near the building’s entrance, fire officials said.

The fast-moving fire destroyed the popular bar and grill at 210 W. Main St., causing a gaping hole in the quaint village’s Main Street.

When firefighters arrived at about 11:30 p.m. that night, the building was engulfed in flames. The Anchor had already closed for the night. No one was injured.

The fire left a mangled mess of debris.

Its owners, Thomas and Pearl Scozzafava, have said that they plan to rebuild.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.