A fire ripped through room 112 of the Relax Inn Motel on June 11, putting the room’s resident into critical condition and sending three police officers to the hospital for smoke inhalation. The fire’s cause has been determined to be accidental. Alex Gault/Watertown Daily Times

WATERTOWN — A fire at a Route 11 motel earlier this month that resulted in four officers rescuing a man inside has been deemed accidental by investigators.

Joseph D. Plummer, director of the Jefferson County Office of Fire and Emergency Management, said the Jan. 11 fire at the Relax Inn just outside the city limits on Route 11 was apparently started after a clothes iron was left on and came in contact with nearby combustibles, causing the fire.

Robert Murphy, 55, had been staying at the hotel for about a week. He said he doesn’t remember anything between getting home at about 8 p.m., then four days later when he woke up from a medically induced coma.

Mr. Murphy was found semi-conscious inside the hotel room by four officers, Jefferson County sheriff’s deputies Christian D. Hughes and Deputy Nick P. Curtiss, and state troopers Sean A. Illes and Joseph R. Fay.

Mr. Murphy was dragged out before being taken to Upstate Medical University, Syracuse. He is still recovering in a hospital.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.