Wednesday fire destroys Heuvelton house garage

CARTHAGE — A family was unaware their attic was on fire until police officers came to get them out Tuesday morning, the fire chief said.

At about 2:30 a.m., first responders were dispatched to 319 S. Mechanic St. in the village for an attic fire. Brian Draper, village fire chief, said flames were showing from the attic window when they arrived. Two adults and two children were inside at the time, and he said police were able to get them out safely. Several animals, including dogs, a snake and a turtle, got out safely as well.

Firefighters contained the flames to the attic and put it out quickly enough so that there was minor damage, Mr. Draper said. It appears the cause of the fire was electrical in nature. He suspects it was due to power strips.

“People have to be careful of using multiple power strips,” he said.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.