WATERTOWN — Thanks to a friendly neighbor, Linda Lowe was able to evacuate her home, 530 Curtis St., safely as it started to smoke this afternoon.

“He came over and was pounding on the door and goes, ‘Your roof is smoking!’” Ms. Lowe said.

She had hired workers to fix her leaky roof today, and sparks from the angle grinder they used caused the small fire, according to James Holland, battalion chief for the City of Watertown Fire Department.

There was no smell of smoke or sign of damage inside, Ms. Lowe said, so if her neighbor hadn’t come over, the old house may have gone up in flames.

With firefighters promptly arriving on the scene, Mr. Holland said there was limited damage to the home’s roof and no reported injuries.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.