Watertown boy, 11, sent to hospital from vaping

A Juul vape device is used. Caroline Tompkins/The New York Times

WATERTOWN — An 11-year-old boy was transported on Friday afternoon to Samaritan Medical Center after he suffered a medical problem from vaping.

The unidentified boy complained of throat and chest pain and was vomiting after he experimented with his brother’s e-cigarettes shortly after 2 p.m. Friday, fire and 911 officials said.

He was taken by Guilfoyle to the hospital as a precaution, fire officials said.

The Watertown Police Department also responded to the scene.

Last week, New York became the first state to ban the sale of flavored electronic cigarettes and nicotine e-liquids. The ban went into effect immediately.

The impact of health issues associated with vaping has become a national issue.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.