MALONE — The callfiremen on Wednesday responded to a rekindling of a fire at a County Route 25 residence, located across the street from Amvets Post 8, fire officials said.

Both the building’s home and garage had been damaged Tuesday afternoon. Alan Durant of the fire department said the call Wednesday was due to a minor case of the structure smoldering.

Two fire trucks were sent to the scene Wednesday morning. No one appeared to be at the residence, when the department was called for a second time. The department Tuesday determined the building to be uninhabitable, Durant said.

Although it had been intact Tuesday afternoon, after a fire destroyed its garage, the structure’s roof on Wednesday was gone. Durant said the department needed to remove it Tuesday evening in order to get to the source of the fire that was affecting the home portion of the structure. Firefighters determined this to be located in the attic, where the blaze had spread from the garage, Durant said.

Firefighters on Wednesday mainly worked on the building’s second floor, applying water to the area that had been previously affected by the garage blaze the day prior. The front of the home had maintained its gray complexion but the rear and side of the structure was visibly charred.

Durant said the fire is still under investigation.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.