GOUVERNEUR — Gouverneur volunteer firefighters were called to a house fire at 164 Clinton St. just after noon Wednesday.

Gouverneur Police arrived at the scene first followed by Engine 17, Gouverneur Fire Chief Tom Conklin said.

“The interior attack team placed the fire under control pretty quickly,” Mr. Conklin said.

He estimated that the fire was knocked down and under control within five minutes of the volunteers’ arrival.

The house was under construction and the fire is believed to have started from a fireplace and chimney run.

While the fire was confined mainly to the first floor, it did make its way along the chimney run to the attic and caused damage on the second floor.

The hydrant nearest the house is awaiting an upgrade and not operable, so water had to be brought to the scene, but it did not hinder the fire fighting effort.

“We did not lack for water,” Mr. Conklin said.

Firefighters from Richville supplied one tanker and firefighters from Oxbow were on standby at the Gouverneur station.

No injuries were reported.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.