The following editorial appeared in the New York Daily News on Sept. 28:
NEW YORK (Tribune News Service) — “It is impossible that the whistleblower is a hero and I’m not,” says Rudy Giuliani.
What’s really impossible is recognizing this Rudy as the man we once admired, first as a U.S. attorney who dismantled the mob, then as a mayor who drove down crime, rescued a suffering city from decline and led us through our darkest days on 9/11 and its aftermath.
Rather than listening to anymore of his sycophantic pro-Trump rants, we’d like Rudy to answer a few questions, preferably under oath. Including:
1. Who was your former colleague from the U.S. attorney’s office who sparked your quest for information in Ukraine?
2. Over the last year, you engaged with five Ukrainian prosecutors — as the president’s lawyer, you told the Washington Post — while pursuing information on Joe Biden. On [Sept. 26], you told The Atlantic, “I’m not acting as a lawyer. I’m acting as someone who has devoted most of his life to straightening out government.” Which is it?
3. You say you are working pro bono for Trump. Do you have any paying clients connected to Ukraine?
4. Do you have a security clearance? The acting director of national intelligence testified that he doesn’t know whether you do. You haven’t answered questions put to you on the topic so far.
5. Asked about gathering material in Ukraine, you’ve said, “We’re not meddling in an election, we’re meddling in an investigation, which we have a right to do.” Should law enforcement investigations be meddled with for political reasons?
6. On Fox News, you disclosed that the State Department authorized many of these conversations. Exactly what was your working relationship with Karl Volker, the top U.S. diplomat to Ukraine? Was Secretary of State Mike Pompeo aware of your agenda, or were you freelancing?
7. Who paid for your February trip to Warsaw, Poland, to meet with former Ukraine Prosecutor General Yuri Lutsenko?
8. Lutsenko — who Trump says is a “fine prosecutor” — told the Washington Post this week that Hunter Biden “did not violate anything.” You’re still pushing for an investigation; why?
Visit New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency. © 2019 New York Daily News.